Saturday, June 19, 2010

Limitations

Everyone goes through times where they realize their limitations a little too late to do anything about it. If you’re lucky, it’s a trivial thing when you notice, others, it could be life or death. Today was one of those trivial times for me.

Heather decided to do something with the girls to burn off some energy today, so I called my parents to see if we could bring them over to swim in the pool. Of course, they said yes and we headed over there. We all got in the pool. Riley decided she wasn’t going to be a water baby today and Heather had to take her to the park to play while Ansley and I stayed in the pool. After a couple hours of playing it was time to get out and head home. I got Ansley over the ladder and she got out. I reached up and realized I couldn’t do that. During my surgery a few weeks ago, my Doc had to remove a large muscle the runs from shoulder to shoulder off of my spine to do his work. The majority of my healing is that muscle reattaching itself to my spine. For the time being, I can’t lift any more than 5 lbs, I can’t use my arms to pull or lift anything while they are outstretched. So, as I looked at that ladder, I realized I couldn’t pull myself out of the pool. I waded over the shallow end and checked the height of the pool top to see if I could “jump” up to the top and sit myself out. It was too tall. My parents’ pool doesn’t have a set of steps going out of the shallow end either, so that wasn’t an option. And, there was no one there to lift me out. Crap. I felt like an idiot not being able to get out of the friggin' pool!! Finally, I asked Heather to go get a lawn chair or something out of my parents’ garage to help me get out. She found a small step ladder and brought it out. I used it to step out of the pool and all is well.

Limitations are ok, if you remember them before you cross them. :)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 05 July, 2010 18:09, Blogger Coloradocasters said...

At least this is a temporary setback. Good luck on the healing process. FWIW, my limitations are poor looks, lack of money and I am addicted to fishing. See? Your limitations don;t look so bad now, right? ha ha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home