Thursday, October 11, 2007

Update on Car Preparedness

I’m using the “secret” email address to send this write-up. If the format gets messed up, bear with me and I’ll fix it when I get home tonight. If it works right, cool. I’m also checking to see if my subscribers get the email notification they signed up for. If you are a subscriber and you get your notification, please send me and email and let me know it’s working.

In my last update, I talked about the problems Heather had on her trip to Atlanta. I thought I’d update with what we have done to combat the situation if it happens again.

We did do the tire changing seminar that following weekend. We went over how to put together the jack handle, how to lower the spare tire from the bottom of her car, where to place the jack under the car, how to use the jack and how to remove and replace the tire.

The bottle jack that came with car is a real pain for her to use, so we bought a floor jack that she can carry with her. It’s a bit heavier than the bottle jack, and it takes up more space, but it’s much easier to use, so she’s happy with it. We bought one that came in a carry case, so she doesn’t have a jack just hanging out in the back of her 4Runner. Just a black case.

We also bought an Emergency Road Kit to go in her car. We were making a list of things to put in the kit and were going to buy everything separate until I went to the car section of our local Wal-Mart. They had a 91 piece set for less than 30 bucks. It came with a small assortment of tools, the roadside triangle, flashlight, blanket, tow rope, zip-ties, and even a first aid kit. I don’t remember exactly what all is in there, but it had stuff we hadn’t even thought about adding. Great value for the money.

We are also now card carrying members of AAA. When she had no number to call that night, I knew that needed to changed. AAA was the best way out.. $64 for a single membership and another $30 for a second family member. 94 bucks a year for peace of mind when she or I are traveling back and forth is worth it..

And, last but not least, I have ordered her a container of pepper spray and a stun gun to carry on her person. I tried to talk her into carrying a gun, but she isn’t comfortable with carrying one, so we opted for the stun gun. I was going to go for the Taser, but they are very expensive and bulky. She wanted something she could carry in her purse or pocket. Although some are small, Tasers aren’t known for easy of concealed carrying. So, she has a 1,000,000 volt mini sized stun gun that will actually fit inside a cigarette pack. Although small, it packs a punch. I know I don’t want to get ht by it. As for me, I have my .40 cal Springfield Armory XD by my side. I’m covered.

So, I think we have covered all the bases to help Heather on her business travels. Hopefully we won’t have to worry about it again, but if we do, I believe she’ll be able to handle the situation with confidence next time.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 15 October, 2007 11:15, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heck yeah man. Following suite.

 
At 15 October, 2007 11:31, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alabama has it for Primary $43, Associate $10

 
At 15 October, 2007 19:51, Blogger **D** said...

Wow.. A lot cheaper there..
It should fall under AAA South and that would be the saem thing.. How is it different?

 
At 17 October, 2007 09:12, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dunno, but that is what I paid. I'll let you know if I find out anything more...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home