Sunday, February 25, 2007

Another Diver in the Family (very soon)

Well, my niece did it. She completed her confined water portion of her dive training last weekend and did exceptionally well. She was the only girl in the class and the only person that was under the age of 21. She made it through the classroom portion with little difficulty and really excelled in the pool portion. I was the “safety diver” for her class, so I got to watch and evaluate her first hand. Her Dad was there also, so every time, after a skill, I would come up and let him know how she did.. It finally just got a point where I just nodded because she was doing so well. To me, what was funny was to have the guys surface after a skill and say, “We’re getting our butts kicked by a 12 year old.” She is very comfortable in the water to begin with, so being able to breathe while down there just made things even better for her. I never once saw any second thoughts or worries while she was doing her skills. There was even one point, as we were in the deep end doing skills, her turn came up and she pointed at her mask. It was leaking like a sieve. She kept clearing it and it kept filling up. But, instead of freaking, she looked at me, shrugged her shoulders and started to do her skill. I knew her mask would be fully flooding in no time, so I asked to her hold on while we figured out her mask. It ended up being some of her hair was caught under the skirt and letting the water in. Once we brushed it way, the leaked stopped. I’ve seen people freak out and bolt to the surface for less than that, and she never even considered bolting. She was going to do that skill come Hell or (literally) high water. So, after two days in the pool, she has learned enough to go on her check out dives. Since she has very little “meat on her bones” her mom, my sister, wants to wait a month or so while it warms up out side so she won’t freeze during surface intervals. We’re looking at May for her check dives. I’ll be on that trip with (as well as her Dad) and we’ll have a good time. But, I just want to congratulate my niece for having passed the first half of her PADI Open Water Junior Certification and wishing her good luck on the check dives.. Congrats Baby Girl!!!

In case you are wondering, PADI standards are: You can get certified at 10 years of age, but they don’t want you diving, unsupervised, until you are at least 15. So, from the ages of 10 to 14 they are awarded PADI Open Water Junior Certification. Meaning, they are certified to dive with a Divemaster or Instructor. Kind of like a learner’s permit. At 15, there are no extra tests or qualifications (because you do the exact same stuff as all O/W divers during your certification class) you just let PADI know you are 15, pay your money for a replacement card and you are then a “regular” PADI O/W diver.

As for me, another week has gone by and they haven’t changed the dates for my Rescue Class, so I’m starting to get cautiously optimistic about it actually happening this time.

Tiny Baby and #1 Mom are doing great. Tiny Baby is very mobile for not crawling or walking yet. She can roll from one side of the room to the other in no time flat, so we have to keep an eye on her anytime she’s on the floor. I can’t imagine keeping up with her once she actually starts to crawl. Looks like it’s time to start investing in baby gates and baby-proofing the house.

Also, my sister has finished her Chemo regimen!!! She is done with all chemo and shot treatments. She still has a couple of major surgeries to go through, but the treatment is done.. Congrats to her for finishing it up (again)..

Book Report Update: I finished “Hiding on the Bottom” by James Rosemond. Good book. I even wrote a review on Amazon.com about it. “Very good read. Refreshingly real. Mr. Rosemond tells you his story in a way that will actually have you hearing the crackling fire or feeling the last rays of the sun hit you as you sit on the porch of the Swamphouse at sundown. Everyday stories from a “regular guy” mixed with humor and a few life lessons taught by a Character you really want to meet. What’s not to like?? We could all learn a few things from Scotty and his views on life.” The author goes by the name “Ken” in life and I’ve actually had the pleasure of emailing back and forth with Ken. Very nice guy. He even made me a deal and since I kept my part of the bargain, he’s sending me another copy of “Hiding” inscribed by him and signed by Scotty. That’s very cool. Go buy his book. He’s even starting a yearly get together at the Swamphouse called “Swampfest.” You can meet Ken, Scotty and everyone form the book if you go. I received my invite, but I’m afraid timing isn’t good for me this year. But I do have an invite to go flounder hunting with him if I’m ever up in the area.
I’m reading “Diver Down” by Michael Ange now.. I’ll let you know about that as soon as I’m done..

I was also shown another Scuba Related Forum: http://www.scubamagazine.net/

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home