Saturday, May 26, 2007

We have porch swing

Yes, we now have a porch swing!!!

My Dad read the entry about my failed attempt at hanging our porch swing and called to offer assistance in repairing what I destroyed and getting it hung up correctly. I readily agreed to his offer. My Dad ran his own housing construction company back in the 80's. He's built both houses lived in growing up along with close to 20 other houses in the local area. I even roofed some of those houses while I was in High School to make an extra buck or two. So, when it comes to knowing how to work on a house, my Dad knows his stuff.Dad had his monthly EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association Chapter 38) meeting this morning and then he was supposed to go and finish up an engine overhaul on his airplane. After he finished putting the engine together, of course, a test flight was in order, so I didn't expect to see him until about 4:00 this afternoon or so. But, the part he was waiting on didn't come in yesterday's mail and today's mail wasn't going to run until about 2:00, so he came over right after the meeting. The first thing he did was decide that all of the vinyl that was partially coming down, needed to come down all-together so we could fix the wood it was mounted too. First we had to figure out how to get it down without tearing it up. Once we figured that out, we decided to run to Lowe's to get some screw-nails, roofing nails and a tool to separate vinyl pieces. Once we got back from Lowe's it was on the disassemble, which went very quickly. After we pulled all the vinyl down, we reattached the strip of plywood with screw-nails. After that was back up, we started putting all the vinyl back up. Again, that went very smooth also. Once we got the vinyl all the way back to where the swing mounts were gonna go, we measured and drilled the pilot holes for the eye bolts. Then we finished the vinyl . After that, we located our pilot holes under the vinyl and drilled into it. (Of course, I didn't find the pilot hole in my first attempt of drilling a small hole in the vinyl, or even my 4th attempt on the left side. Thank goodness for caulking) We installed the eye-bolts and hung the swing. Then the test. Dad sat down on it and it held. Then, I sat down with him and it held. We have a working porch swing!!! The biggest test of faith: Heather sat down it with my Dad.. When Heather will sit on it, you know she trusts it, so we are good to go. Thanks Dad for all the help!!!! You know I couldn't have done it right without you!!!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 29 May, 2007 21:34, Blogger MaconBubbles said...

Can I borrow your dad sometime?

 
At 30 May, 2007 06:15, Blogger **D** said...

Heh.. He knows what he's doing..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home